Black Country Garden City
The Black Country LEP, along with the four Black Country local authorities and the Homes & Communities Agency are working together to create a new 21st Century Garden City in the centre of England, which will connect into existing communities and infrastructure.
Within the region there is a significant number of high quality investment opportunities that can be offered to developers and other organisations.
This Garden City vision will utilise existing green, cultural and economic assets to develop attractive places where people want to live, transforming the reality and perception of the Black Country. There is an opportunity to lever £6 billion of investment and deliver 45,000 new homes over the next 10 years, by intelligently applying the 10 garden city principles:
- Does the proposed development bring under-used land assets back into productive use?
- Does the scheme make the most of the major assets of the Black Country such as green areas, built heritage and the canal network? (see film below)
- Does the scheme integrate eco-sensitive planting and food-growing into well designed streets and spaces?
- Is the development well connected internally and more widely by all modes of transport?
- Is there easy access to shops, schools, workplaces, parks, play areas, pubs and cafes?
- Does the scheme have a clear identity, expressed through its architecture, public spaces and the way it is marketed?
- Does the scheme help support the creation and development of new business?
- Will the scheme involve its residents in the management of their new community?
- Does the scheme harness technological innovation in its construction and operation to make it more sustainable and successful?
- Does the scheme promote healthy lifestyles?
The Black Country is an attractive location for businesses to succeed. Our highly skilled workforce in precision engineering, automotive, aerospace and construction technologies ensure that products made in the Black Country are sold around the world.
The Black Country Garden City is an important step on our transformation journey.
To read more about our aspirations, click on the download below, for our Garden City Prospectus:
Learn more about the Black Country Garden City in the following film:
Picture caption: example of low carbon timber houses.
Discover the green spaces of Wolverhampton with environmental consultant and TV Presenter Chris Baines in the following film:
Where would you like to go?